Saturday, October 3, 2009

Next Glaze Project

Well, I hate glazing. But I have these mugs for Shanna (by special request) so I must find an appropriate glaze for them.

The problem with this style, is that the glaze must not obscure the oxides in the engraved portion. Think I might try some wax resist.

This one has the "sprig" on the front, which I might leave as bare clay and glaze around it, using an oxide in the engraved part. I like this shape also; being wider at the base it's more stable on the table.

This one I like too, same shape as the "Thallium" mug, but the sprig is missing. A good glaze for this would be a semi-transparent one so the oxides could bleed through. A nice "breaking" glaze.

I wish I had paid more attention to chemistry in school - now that I'm making my own glazes it would be such a big help. Half the time it's more guesswork that knowing what I'm doing. But, as Shanna says, "Experiment"!

I'll post pics of the finished pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment