Monday, June 22, 2015

Tightening the Belt.

Almost three months ago, Kevin lost his contract, which meant that until he had another job, money would be a little tight. So, this meant tightening the belt. For the past 20+ years, I haven't really budgeted money; if I wanted something, I could usually afford to go and get it (except of course major things like vehicles).

I remember my mom, she used to keep a purse in a drawer, with her "housekeeping" money in it. She put in the amount she had for each week and when it was gone, that was it. If there was any left over, it was "hers" and she could either save or spend it. Well, I wasn't going to do it that way, instead I made a "PLAN". I would limit my grocery spending each week. If I ran out, we would do without. It has been almost three months, and so far, I have been under budget each week. Kevin told me that our Discover card bill is down to "half" of what it has been in the past. That to me is pretty awesome.

Some of it has been really easy though. We have several freezers full of meat, so most of the groceries are for fresh vegetables and fruits. We have cut out the "premium" wines. I don't throw away left overs. I have also noticed that our trash bins are now only half full each week (less waste). I have changed the way I cook, and the types of food we eat, without sacrificing quality. For example, last night was very simple; a salad and a meat pie. But a really tasty pie, made with homemade duck and chicken stock, with lots of duck and chicken meat (left over from meals a few days ago) and vegetables, in a crisp, home made pastry. A tight budget doesn't have to mean Ramen and popcorn!


No comments:

Post a Comment